WeHo Youth Scholarship Program Now Open

April 8, 2026 ·

Photo courtesy of the city of West Hollywood Facebook page.

WEST HOLLYWOOD—The city of West Hollywood announced on Tuesday, April 7 that it is now accepting applications for its Youth Scholarship Program.

The city is awarding $2,000 scholarships to graduating high school seniors who are making a difference in their community and planning to pursue higher education. The scholarship money can be used for any expense incurred in pursuing post-secondary education at an accredited college, university, or trade/vocational school.

To apply, applicants must:
-Be a West Hollywood resident
-Graduate high school (or receive a GED) in 2026
-Have at least 150 hours of community service
-Be accepted to a college, university, or trade/vocational school

West Hollywood’s Youth Scholarship Program is one of the first municipal government sponsored programs of its kind in the country. The program is funded entirely by donations from the community. To support the program, the city encourages donations from community members, organizations and area businesses.

For more details on West Hollywood’s Youth Scholarship program, contact the City’s Human Services Division at (323) 848-6510 or email HumanServices@weho.org.

Applications are due by May 29, 2026. To learn more details and to apply visit: www.weho.org/youthscholarship.

 

By Danny Jones

Christopher Dishlip Appointed Public Works Director

April 8, 2026 ·

Photo courtesy of the city of Santa Monica website.

SANTA MONICA—On Tuesday, April 7, the city of Santa Monica announced on its website that Christopher Dishlip has been appointed as the new director of the Public Works Department by City Manager Oliver Chi.

Dishlip has been with the city for nearly 17 years and served as assistant director of Public Works since 2022. He previously led both Santa Monica’s Facility Maintenance and Architecture Services divisions and served as the city’s capital program manager. Dishlip will take the helm from Director Rick Valte, who announced his retirement this year after nearly 26 years of service to the city.

“What sets Chris apart is how he leads – with humility, a deep commitment to serving his team and the community, and the kind of quiet determination that inspires everyone around him,” City Manager Oliver Chi said. “As we execute the Realignment Plan, having someone with Chris’ character and capability leading Public Works gives me tremendous confidence in what we’ll accomplish together for Santa Monica.”

Since joining the city, Dishlip led the completion of large-scale projects including the new City Hall East facility, Pico Branch Library, Parking Structure 6, Ishihara Park, Historic Belmar Park, Fire Station 1 and the City Yards Modernization.

He earned a Bachelor of Science in civil engineering from the University of Arizona, a Master of Science in civil engineering from the University of Southern California and obtained a Certificate in Executive Management from the University of California, Los Angeles. He is a California licensed professional civil engineer, holds an accreditation in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED AP) and is a Design-Build Professional (DBIA Associate).

“I’m honored to have been asked to lead our talented Public Works team at such a pivotal moment for Santa Monica,” Dishlip said. “The investments we’re making through the Realignment Plan are about more than infrastructure – they’re about restoring the standard of excellence that residents, businesses, and visitors expect from this City, and I can’t wait to get to work.”

Dishlip assumed the role on April 6, with an annual salary of $315,684.

 

By Danny Jones

LAFD Battle Blaze In Beverly Crest Region

April 8, 2026 ·

Photo courtesy of Spencer Davis.

BEVERLY HILLS/BENEDICT CANYON—On Tuesday, April 7, the Los Angeles Fire Department battled a fire in the Beverly Crest region. The fire was reported at 4:36 p.m. at 351 N. Delfern Drive.

The fire suppression efforts continued in defensive mode on the home, firefighters worked to protect nearby exposed structures. One LAFD firefighter in fair-to-serious condition was transported from scene with a medical issue.

With 3 hours and 45 minutes on the incident clock, IC strategically reinitiated offensive mode where it is safe, in order to allow better access to any remaining fire in the structure. One additional LAFD firefighter was treated on scene for signs of heat exhaustion.

By 5:50 p.m., the fire was extinguished after 4 hours and 5 minutes. Firefighters continued to cool hotspots particularly in the composition roof tiles. Extended overhaul operations are expected to last several hours. The cause of the fire has not been disclosed to the public.

 

By Danny Jones

LAFD Battle Fire At The Magic Castle

April 8, 2026 ·

HOLLYWOOD HILLS—On Tuesday, April 7, the Los Angeles Fire Department battled a fire at The Magic Castle. The fire was reported at 5:28 p.m. at 7001 W. Franklin Avenue. The three-story Victorian home, doing business as The Magic Castle, had a fire in the attic.

First-arriving companies were in offensive mode, coordinating roof ventilation, fire suppression, and salvage operations on the third floor. No injuries were reported, but paramedics assessed several people on scene.

By 6:09 p.m., roof work on the structure was identified as a possible cause of this fire. The building cleared of all occupants and no injuries were reported. The fire was extinguished in 41 minutes with 68 firefighters working on scene.

Firefighters continued operations for salvage and smoke removal and remained on scene for full overhaul of the fire damage.

 

By Danny Jones

Santa Monica Animal Shelter Is Filled To Capacity

April 7, 2026 ·

Photo by Alisa Matthews.
SANTA MONICA—On April 7, the Santa Monica Animal Shelter announced on social media that the animal shelter is currently at capacity and unable to accept any owner-surrendered animals at this time.

Photo Credit: Sasha Sashina

The Santa Monica Animal Shelter aids dogs and cats, and sometimes Guinea pigs and other small house pets are available. Immediate needs are for animal lovers to adopt, foster, and spread the word. The Santa Monica Shelter Foundation has a list of approximately 14 dogs and several cats posted on their website. The dogs listed are either a German Shepherd mix or pit bull mix, and larger breed dogs. There was one French Bulldog mix posted. One of the dogs resembled the Target Store’s mascot. Another likened the black and white dogs that often play in pre-school sing-a-long television shows. Some may recall the lyrics, …and “Bingo was his name-o!” Canyon News reached out for more information but did not hear back before print. Those interested are asked to stop by to see all of the animals available. Hours of operation are from Tuesday through Saturday: 8 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. Dog food, puppy food, cat food, cat litter, and toys may be donated to the Santa Monica Animal Shelter located at 1640 9th St, Santa Monica, CA 90404. Monetary donations are also accepted.   By Sharon

Alexander Schecter Charged With Rape, Kidnapping

April 7, 2026 ·

Photo courtesy of the UCLA PD.

WESTWOOD—On Monday, April 6, 2026, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced that Alexander William Schecter, 26, of Santa Monica was charged with kidnapping a female UCLA student in March 2026 and the rape of another woman in October 2025 in Culver City.

Schecter is charged in case 26ARCF00673 with one felony count of kidnapping to commit another crime; one felony count of first-degree residential robbery; two felony counts of forcible oral copulation; and one felony count of forcible rape. It is further alleged that offenses related to the October 2025 crime involved great violence, great bodily harm, threat of great bodily harm, and other acts disclosing a high degree of cruelty, viciousness and callousness. It also is alleged that all victims were particularly vulnerable.

Schecter’s arraignment and bail review hearing was continued to May 4, 2026, in Department 30 of the Airport Courthouse. Bail remains set at $700,000. The prosecution will ask the Court to set bail at $1.4 million.

On October 12, 2025, at approximately 3:15 a.m., Schecter allegedly sexually assaulted and raped a woman in Culver City.

On March 8, 2026, at approximately 3 a.m., he allegedly kidnapped a female UCLA student in the 500 block of Landfair Avenue. Schecter was allegedly dropping off the student in the area when he allegedly prevented her from exiting his vehicle and threatened violence. The student was able to exit the vehicle approximately half a mile away on the 400 block of Gayley Avenue.

On March 12, 2026, UCLA Police arrested Schecter after identifying him as the suspect in the March kidnapping incident. During the investigation, Schecter was identified as the suspect in the October sexual assault and rape. If convicted as charged, he faces 37 years to life in state prison.

The case is being prosecuted by Deputy District Attorney Matthew Bunnett of the Sex Crimes Division and remains under investigation by the University of California, Los Angeles Police Department.

Anyone who may have been a victim or has additional information regarding Alexander Schecter is asked to contact the Investigations Division at the University of California, Los Angeles Police Department at (310) 825-9371.

Those wanting to remain anonymous can call LA Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS (800 222-8477) or visit www.lacrimestoppers.org.

 

By Danny Jones

Malibu Mass Evacuation Plan Community Workshop

April 7, 2026 ·

Photo courtesy of Jake Espedido.

MALIBU—On April 6, the city of Malibu announced that its Mass Evacuation Plan Community Workshop is scheduled for April 28. The workshop will help residents of Malibu be better prepared for evacuations.

The workshop will take place from 6 pm. to 8 p.m. at Malibu City Hall Council Chamber located at 23825 Stuart Ranch Road.

During the workshop individuals will learn:

-Find your evacuation zone
-Learn how evacuation decisions are made
-Know what to expect during an evacuation
-Share your feedback on the City’s draft Mass Evacuation Plan

Registration for the event is not required. All individuals are welcome to attend.

 

By Danny Jones

Bomb Threat Made At Santa Monica Pier

April 6, 2026 ·

SANTA MONICA—The Santa Monica Police Department announced on Saturday, April 4, a bomb threat was made at the Santa Monica Pier.

At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, the SMPD received a report involving a potential bomb threat directed at the Santa Monica Pier.

​SMPD personnel arrived on the scene immediately to assess the situation. In coordination with specialized units, officers conducted a thorough sweep of the area. Following the investigation, it was determined that the threat was not credible.

​The Santa Monica Pier remained open throughout the assessment, and no injuries were reported. Out of an abundance of caution, the public will notice an increased police presence in the area. All operations at the SM Pier have returned to normal.

​The safety of residents and visitors is the Police Department’s top priority. The SMPD is asking the public to remain aware of their surroundings and follow the principle of “See Something, Say Something.”

 

By Danny Jones

Household Hazardous Waste And E-Waste Collection April 18

April 6, 2026 ·

Photo courtesy of the city of Malibu Facebook page.

MALIBU—The city of Malibu announced on its Facebook page that it will host a Household Hazardous Waste & E-Waste Collection and documenting shredding event.

The event will take place on Saturday, April 18 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Malibu City Hall located at 23825 Stuart Ranch Road, Upper Parking Lot.

Individuals will be able to safely dispose of automotive and household batteries, anti-freeze, ink cartridges, oil filters, unbroken light bulbs, used motor oil (15 gallons max), water-based and latex paint (15 gallons max).

Electronic waste that will be accepted include cable boxes, cameras, cell phones, desktops and laptops, keyboard and mouse, printers and copiers, mixed plastic/metal/wire, monitors, including TVs, office/home phones, tablets, video/audio equipment and video game systems.

Document shredding will also be available, which includes checkbooks, credit card statements, insurance information, investment records, legal files, medical information, pay stubs, receipts and invoices, tax forms and bank statements, utility bills (max of 5 boxes or 13-gallon bags per household.

For more details visit: www.MalibuCity.org/Calendar.

 

By Danny Jones

Board Of Forestry And Fire Protection’s Zone 0 Meeting April 23

April 6, 2026 ·

Photo courtesy of the city of Malibu Facebook page.

MALIBU—On April 3, the city of Malibu posted on its Facebook page that the Board of Forestry and Fire Protection Zone 0 Regulatory Advisory Committee Meeting will be held on April 23.

Community members are invited to attend an upcoming meeting of the California Board of Forestry and Fire Protection’s Zone 0 Regulatory Advisory Committee, which will visit the Los Angeles region to share updates and gather input on wildfire resilience efforts.

The meeting will include discussion based on the most recent draft Zone 0 Regulations, which will be available on the Board’s website prior to the meeting, at https://bof.fire.ca.gov/.

The event will last from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Calabasas Community Center inside The Grove Room located at 27040 Malibu Hills Road.

Attendees will have the opportunity to hear directly from the Committee and participate in public comment. Those wishing to provide in-person comment are encouraged to arrive early, as comments will be heard in the order received.

The meeting will also be streamed live and available online.

Registration is required for both in-person and virtual attendance.

Public comments may be submitted anytime to PublicComments@bof.ca.gov
To learn more visit: https://bof.fire.ca.gov/

 

By Danny Jones

Load
More