Speeding Driver Mario Bickham Charged With Murders

June 30, 2026 ·

Photo by Bernardo Ferrari.

BRENTWOOD/WESTWOOD—On Monday, June 29, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced that the speeding driver who struck on-duty Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. Shiou Lih Deng and stranded motorist Jesús Arturo Garcia on the 405 Freeway last year was charged with murder in the deaths of both men. Sgt. Deng was 53 years old and served the LAPD for over 26 years.

“This was a complex investigation, completed by the California Highway Patrol Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Team, which took just under a year to complete,” said California Highway Patrol Southern Division Chief Chris Margaris. “Our hearts remain with the families, friends, and colleagues of LAPD Sergeant Shiou Deng and Mr. Jesus Garcia who lost their lives. We hope this report provides answers and reflects the California Highway Patrol’s unwavering commitment to a thorough, objective investigation.”

“Sergeant Deng dedicated his life to serving others, and on that tragic morning, he made the ultimate sacrifice,” said Los Angeles Police Chief Jim McDonnell. “Our thoughts remain with his family and all those who loved him. I want to thank the California Highway Patrol investigators whose dedication and persistence led to today’s arrest. We also appreciate the partnership of the District Attorney’s Office as this case moves through the judicial process. We remain steadfast in our commitment to pursuing justice while honoring Sergeant Deng’s extraordinary legacy of service.”

Mario Joseph Bickham, 36, of Hawthorne was charged with two felony counts of second-degree murder.

At approximately 1:54 a.m. on June 23, 2025, Jesús Garcia, 34, was driving home from work on I-405 south when his pickup truck was struck by an unknown driver near the Getty Center just before the Sunset Boulevard exit. Garcia’s vehicle became disabled, blocking the HOV lane and the adjacent traffic lane.

A few minutes later, at approximately 2:01 a.m., Sgt. Deng spotted the disabled truck and Garcia. To aid a stranded motorist who was in a particularly vulnerable position, Sgt. Deng activated his emergency lights and stopped his marked Los Angeles Police Department patrol car. The emergency lights remained on throughout the incident. Sgt. Deng got out of his vehicle to assist Garcia.

At approximately 2:04 a.m., the defendant, driving his sedan alone in the HOV lane, slammed into Sgt. Deng’s LAPD patrol vehicle, the disabled truck, Sgt. Deng and Garcia. It is alleged that five seconds before the crash, defendant was driving at 112.5 mph. Sgt. Deng and Garcia died from the impact, and the defendant sustained serious injuries.

The speed limit in this section of the highway was clearly posted as 65 mph. An arraignment date was expected Monday afternoon. The prosecution is requesting the court deny bail or in the alternative set bail at the scheduled amount of $4 million.

If convicted as charged, Bickham faces up to 15 years to life in state prison for each victim.

By Danny Jones

Next Post

Concert On Cañon Summer Series In Beverly Hills Returns

BEVERLY HILLS—From June 4 through August 20, the Beverly Hills Community Services is bringing back their free “Concerts on Cañon” every Thursday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., at the Beverly Cañon Gardens located at 241 North Cañon Drive. As…
Read
Previous Post

Summer Blood Drive In Beverly Hills

BEVERLY HILLS—The city of Beverly Hills in a partnership with the American Red Cross will be hosting a Community Blood Drive and volunteers are needed. To make an appointment visit www.Redcrossblood.org and enter our sponsor code: CityBevHills. The event will…
Read
Random Post

Man Dies In Fatal Crash On 405 Freeway

SHERMAN OAKS—On September 22, at approximately 4:42 a.m., a man traveling at a low rate of speed crashed into the back of a semi-truck on the 405 Freeway at North Mulholland Drive.According to reports by the California Highway Patrol (CHP)…
Read
Random Post

Woodland Hills To Open New Homeless Family Shelter

WOODLAND HILLS—On Monday, May 15, Ken Craft, founder of Hope the Mission, announced the opening of The Woodlands, a new homeless shelter for families. On their website, Hope the Mission, invites the public to sign up to attend the open…
Read
Random Post

Dine LA Returns To West Hollywood

WEST HOLLYWOOD—On Friday, January 24, the city of West Hollywood announced the return of Dine La which will run through February 7. The public can visit cafes and fine-dining eaters while donating to a cause. For each reservation made, LA…
Read
Random Post

Beverly Gardens Park Closure On June 20

BEVERLY HILLS—The city of Beverly Hills announced on its Facebook page that on Thursday, June 20 from 3p.m. to 7p.m. roads surrounding Beverly Gardens Park will be impacted, including N Crescent Dr. and Park Way. There will also be meter…
Read